Siera Vercillo is a critical international development scholar, instructor, and practitioner with experience in research, policy analysis and project support in Africa, Europe and North America.
My research is on the right to food, gender justice and feminist theory, agriculture systems development, political ecology and responsible investment using multiple and mixed methods.
- Doctoral Candidate, Geography, Western University (2014-2018)
Supervisors: Dr. Isaac Luginaah, Dr. Tony Weis
Affiliated with Environment Health, and Hazards lab, and the Africa Institute
- Masters, Gender and Development, Institute of Development Studies, University of Sussex, (2013), Supervisor: Dr. Stephen Devereux
- Bachelors of Arts (hons), Political Science, African Studies, University of Toronto (2006-2010), Supervisor: Dr. Tom Tieku
I also consult for a Government of Canada funded food security project, where I am piloting, redesigning and scaling a capacity building program for agriculture extension staff and farming organizations in Ghana, Sierra Leone and Mali. Here, I am collaborating with Ministries and NGOs, including agribusinesses and community leaders to impact farming livelihoods across West Africa. I have worked in Ghana with Engineers Without Borders Canada on agriculture systems development. I have also conducted research for policy analysis with the Future Agricultures Consortium, the Responsible Investing Committee at the University of Toronto and the Ministry of Food and Agriculture in Ghana.
Select Major Scholarships and Awards
- Joseph-Armand Bombardier Canada Graduate Scholarship, Doctoral, Social Science and Humanities Research Council, 2016 – 2019, ($150,000)
- Western Graduate Research Scholarship, Western University, 2014-2018, ($90,000)
- Western Doctoral Excellence Research Award, Western University, 2016-2019, ($30,000)
- Doctoral Research Award, International Development Research Centre (IDRC), 2016-2017, ($20,000)
- Ontario Graduate Scholarship, Social Science and Humanities Research Council, 2015, ($15,000)
- Queen Elizabeth II Diamond Jubilee, Africa Institute, Western University, 2016, ($5000)
- Academic Achievement Scholarship, PSAC, Western University, 2016, ($500)
- Graduate Research Award, Faculty of Social Science, Western University, 2016 ($750)
- 20 under 35 Young Professionals Changing the World initiative, MEDA, 2015
Read more about her professional experience on her Linkedin profile.